Monday, February 21, 2011

Shoes.Shoes.Shoes.

Fashion week instills in me a deeper sense of appreciation and longing for the trends and perfectly put-together outfits that surround my everyday life here in London. Since my arrival in London, I’ve come to the dreadful realization that shopping, for anything that exceeds my life essentials, is out of the question. This insight has left me helpless and stylishly insignificant next to the fashionistas strolling the streets of London in five inch stilettos. Shoes have always been my weakness. Some think that it’s a bit of an obsession or an issue that I have, but I figure that since my petite size six feet haven’t grown since fifth grade, there has to be an occasion, someday, for every pair. And while my shoes aren’t even close to London standards, I can take comfort in the few shoes that were lucky enough to survive the long trek over to London. I have shoes for every occasion here, and while they may leave my feet blistered, wet, or cold, they help to add a little something to the simplistic outfits I’ve learned to accept during my stay.
My shoes and I have had quite the experience since our arrival in London. On day one, my Uggs were the first shoes to step foot on London soil. I soon learned that, yes, it does in fact rain quite frequently here in London and, to my dismay, yes mom, you were correct in advising me to leave my Uggs at home. My beloved Uggs may resemble a loaf of bread encompassing my feet, but they never failed me during the cold Wisconsin winters. These cherished shoes survived the rain; a little water damaged, but have yet to leave the apartment since that first day. To make up for the misfortune that the Ugg boots have faced, my Ugg slippers have stepped up and left me warm and germ free during my days in the brisk and, typically, less than clean flats.
Since the inevitable failure of my Ugg boots, I have learned to cherish and rely on my brown boots that I received this year for Christmas. These boots are the superhero of boots. They’ve survived the torrential downpours in London and have kept me warm through countless pound trips. I realized that these brown boots should not be taken advantage of and purchased some black boots on Portabella Road for only 15 pounds! They are, of course, fake leather, but I figured they would do the job. These boots served me well for about two weeks, but I soon learned that you really do get what you pay for here in London. They may have been cheap, but those few blissful weeks of the black boots may not have been worth the swamp feet I dealt with on numerous occasions due to the four holes deteriorating my newest member of the London shoe family.
When it comes to going out in London, heels are my go-to shoes. They instantly make me feel better about my five-foot-two height and dress up an outfit at the same time! They may not be the most practical of shoes, but they really are the most fun. These shoes have seen the best of times in London and I’m forever grateful for the woman at the British Airways check-in desk, who allowed me the few extra pounds so that they wouldn’t have to be sacrificed. I have my basic black booties, which have seen better days and may be fraying at the heels, but still do their job to the best of their ability. I also have the impractical stilettos that always seem like a good idea at the beginning of the night, but tend to take my nights to a whole different level. Such as the night where I wasn’t let into the club because I was told I was too drunk, when in reality I tripped in my four inch heels. I snuck in anyway bouncer, try not to be so naïve next time when it comes to shoes. These heels often leave me in pain and walking home barefoot, but the few extra inches truly are worth it when you’re standing next to a six foot tall supermodel.
Shoes are a girl’s best friend. You don’t need to worry about the extra double cheeseburger you ate the night before or your pants being too baggy because they haven’t been washed in weeks, which is pathetically realistic due to washing machine facilities that we have been equipped with. My shoes make me feel better about myself and help narrate my life here in London. I have my pink puma’s that accompany me on my runs through Hyde Park, my boots that keep me warm during sightseeing, my heels that go out on the town, and my slippers to spend days in bed sleeping, recovering, and keeping warm. Unfortunately, my style and closet haven’t been able to change much during my stay here in London, but I am grateful that my shoes are always there to add a bit of spunk to my outfit or comfort me through the less than sunny days. Hopefully someday I will return to London and splurge on the bright wedges and stilettos I see sauntering down the street, but until then, I’m happy with my comfortably worn-in shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment