Monday, October 17, 2011

Halloween

Holloween has always generated mixed feelings for me.  It's that time of year where fall seems to be getting too cold and once it passes, all there is to look forward to are finally completing midterms and, if you survive it, Christmas break.  However, there are some good things that come with the Holloween.

Candy.  It's been a passion of mine all my life.  My mom never could get me to eat healthy.  It was either candy, cookie dough, or butter, or food being spit into my napkin and fed to my dog.  The candy obsession continued when my mom would send me off to hockey camp during the summer and instead of packing my gatorade and granola bars like my older sister, me and my friend packed donuts, candy, and beef jerky.  This sweet tooth has stuck with me into my college years.  I'm now 22 years old, have endured many cavities and root canals, but when you get one of those chocolate cravings, you've just got to give in.  Anyway, back to the subject of Halloween. This festive holiday gives me an excuse to endulge without judgement.

Costumes have always given me anxiety.  I don't know what it is about getting dressed up in a costume that irritates me so much.  I think it can be rooted back to my traumatic childhood experiences with costumes.  My mom thought it would be cute to make all of the kids in my family dress up like disney characters. I got daffy duck.  The duck would have been fine, if it butt didn't shake so horrificly every time I took a step.  Then there was Jasmine (from Aladdin of course).  The costume by itself was actually pretty cool, but I spent the entire night throwing up at my aunts house and then the next day all over my mom's car.  Since then there have been generic firefighter costumes, ghostbuster girls, and last minute greek goddesses. They all have just left me cold and sloppy wandering on state street at night.  I do have one costume I don't regret though, a ketchup bottle complete with a pointed hate and a best friend endorned as mustard.

Another positive about Halloween are the scares. I will never turn down a good haunted house or scary movie and definately need to partake is those festivities as soon as I complete my third midterm this week.  Going along with this, of course, are pumpkins. Whether your carving them, eating them (the seeds), or just enjoying their presence, I've got nothing bad to say about pumpkins, but do have a few negative words for those hoodlums that think it's funny to smash them. 

While I may have had some negative feelings about Halloween, or at least those particular bad memories that come with it, I'm planning on making the best out of this one and partaking in all the festivities. I'm even going to attempt to think of a good costume, so if you're got any good ideas, throw em this way ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment